Much of the UK’s history can be traced through the long line of British monarchs. The ups and downs of the British monarchy are at times so dramatic that their many life stories could be turned into novels, drama series or films and this is often the case. Our current ruler, Queen Elizabeth II is perhaps the best known person in the world (maybe second to Oprah), but did you know:
- Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State not only to the UK, but to 15 other Commonwealth realms.
- QEII celebrates two birthdays every year and sends a greeting card to anybody who celebrates their 100th birthday. These cards are not known to be the ones that sing though.
- On 29th April 2011 the Queen’s grandson Prince William, 2nd in line to the throne, will marry Catherine ‘Kate’ Middleton at Westminster Abbey. Though it is highly likely he will eventually become king, it is unknown what his royal title will become upon marriage.
- Think it is only those of noble birth who can be given titles? Think again – Lordships and Ladyships can be bought for as little as £15 online. They don’t last forever though, only 999 years till you become a commoner again!
- The Queen owns 7 dogs. Four corgis called Linnet, Monty, Willow and Holly and three dorgis called Cider, Candy and Vulcan. They travel with the Queen to her various residences.